Saturday, November 27, 2010

Pass Me Some Patience, Please

Passage:
Proverbs 15:18 A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel.

Point:
I’ll be the first to admit that when it comes to having patience I fail much more than I succeed. Often times, my expectations of people and situations are way too high and when they aren’t met, my irritability comes crashing through. This happens quite a bit in my marriage. I expect my husband to be someone he isn’t – almost to the point of perfection and when he doesn’t live up, I tend to let him have it.

Let’s face it – I cannot expect my husband to live up to high expectations no more than I can expect my dog to quit digging up the yard despite a huge mole infestation. It just isn’t going to happen. So what’s a lady to do?

I have to learn that my flying off the handle is never going to be a good thing. I can never bring glory to God by losing patience. I need to get a grip, let my emotions chill, and think before I react or say something I may regret. I’m sure this will take much prayer and effort on my part, but I’m willing.

Ponder:
How many arguments could we avoid by practicing patience right from the get-go?

Poem:
O God in all Your mercy
O God in all Your might
Grant me the ability
To keep my lips shut tight

In the eye of struggles
Your patience I will need
To stay calm and collected
This Lord, I do plead

No comments: